Why Join Toastmasters
Learn by Doing
Toastmasters is a worldwide programme where people improve their leadership skills, communication skills and learn how to speak in public in a safe, supportive club environment.
Toastmasters learn by:
- Practising speaking in front of the group.
- Listening to others speak to the group.
- Evaluating and listening to evaluations of speeches.
- Following the Toastmasters programme of advancing in steps.
Improve your Self Confidence
By practising speaking to a group in an environment where everyone is also learning, you become more comfortable with the task. All Toastmasters know what it’s like to feel butterflies when called upon to speak. Experienced Toastmasters also know that the fear can be overcome just by trying.
- Learn at your own pace.
- Toastmasters share and understand your feelings.
- Opportunities to practise a skill at every meeting.
- Follow a tried-and-tested worldwide programme at your own pace.
- Suitable for anyone in any occupation over the age of 18
- Continuous opportunities to challenge and improve yourself, within as well as outside your Club.
Sharpen your Thinking
A Toastmasters meeting excites your brain.
Participants at meetings who are not giving a formal prepared speech are usually asked to participate in “Table Topics”.
This is a 2 minute impromptu speech on a topic selected by the Table Topics Master with the speaker having no time for preparation.
Everyone who speaks at a Toastmasters meeting has their speech evaluated by another Toastmaster.
Evaluating challenges you because as an evaluator, you need to be very alert.
You have to think on your feet in order to mention all the good points of a person’s speech as well as aspects that may need improvement.
Develop your leadership skills
There are many opportunities to be a leader within Toastmasters.
- Club and District Officers are elected annually in May to lead and represent the Club and District.
- Members chair meetings and take on other leadership responsibilities.
- Toastmasters is an international organisation with leaders from each geographical area represented on the International Board of Directors.
Official Toastmasters Websites
New Zealand Toastmasters Website http://www.toastmasters.org.nz
International Toastmasters Website http://www.toastmasters.org
Easy-speak Scheduling Website https://easy-speak.org/clubdata.php?c=2231
Content from Toastmasters New Zealand Website – Click here for further details